If you are considering taking on the 100km ride on 4th September, here are a few things that you might like to know!
The inaugural Southampton Sporterium will be taking place on the Saturday 4th September 2021. With the ‘Spin City’ being based near the start line inside East Park, where you can take part in the exciting and interactive activities.To find out more about the event that most interests you click below!
A Criterium is a short-distance race, where riders compete around a lapped circuit to complete the most laps possible in a short amount of time.
The Southampton Crit will be a city centre based route around the two main city centre parks! This wide and fast track will make for some quick and exciting racing within a large pack.
Lap Length: 1.72km
*Routes subject to change. Click on the map to Export GPX route.Start times for the Criterium start at 11:30am and continue throughout the day, depending on your category (see categories below) Riders in the Youth E, D and C categories will ride on a shorter circuit (a loop up and down Above Bar St) of 0.6 km straights. Entries start at £15 for the Criterium.
- A quick, fast paced, short circuit which takes place around East Park and Palmerston Park. Please seethe diagram on the right for an exact route.
- The Race will all take place on tarmac ground so will be a smooth surface to ride on.
- All riders will get a practice/sight lap prior to the race. This will be ¾ of the circuit starting from CivicCentre Road.
- Please note Youth groups E, D and C will not complete the full circuit. They will complete laps of Above Bar Street and back again.
- Awesome Finishers medal
- Feed stations around the course
- Fully Signed Route
- Chip timing
- Medical support
- Mechanical support - both stationary and roving
- City centre start and finish (easier access and facilities, with great views for your friends and family)
- Online results
- Helmet (you must have a helmet or you will not be allowed to participate)
- Drinks bottle
- Mobile phone (in case of emergencies)
- Basic tools / repair kit
- Spare inner tubes
- Bike pump
- Basic first aid kit
- Appropriate clothing for weather that day (think about temperature, covering up from the sun, or even high visibility clothes and lights for if foggy / rainy)
- Face mask for arrival at the venue and navigating round feed stations
The Southampton Criterium has 10 different waves that you can enter depending on your age and experience with the first horn getting the Primary School Ride underway at 11am and the final finish flag coming down just after 9pm with the Men’s E/1/2/3 race and so much in between!
The first group out racing for the Southampton Criterium for a 15 minute race! Please note this race will be on the shorter Criterium course.
- Then it will be the turn of the older children to pick up the pace in a 20 minute race. Please note this race will be on the shorter Criterium course.
- This is the first Regional Youth Series race of the day. This 30 minute race will up the speed and give you the chance to see the next Bradley Wiggins or Chris Hoy.
- Then we have our under 16’s British Cycling Series Race, for the older children who want to compete at a high level. This will be a 40 minute race.
- This will be a Go Race event for a beginner level cyclist and as such is open to both non British Cycling members and members. The only criteria is that who enter this race should not be above a 4th Cat rider.
This race allows British Cycling Category 4 Men and Women with race licenses to get out on the circuit for a 45 minute race!
- It is them time for the 3rd Cat Men to battle it out in this 45 minute race!
- The penultimate race of the night allows the British Cycling Elite Women to get out on the circuit as the evening heats up!
- The final race will showcase the best riders that the South Region can show for an action packed hour of racing with the crowds coming out of local pubs to watch the showcase race!